Friday, August 13, 2010

Simple Woman #98



For Today . . .  August 13, 2010



Outside my window . . . it's a cold and gloomy day with a cloudy sky and intermittent showers.   We've had more than 20" of rain this summer and it's too much already!  Even the zucchini isn't growing and needs sunshine!

I am thankful . . .  for time to reflect and watch the birds circling overhead. 

And I also am thankful . . .  for memories of my grandparents and summer weeks spent at their farm.  

I am praying . . .   for good weather so crops can be taken off the fields.

I am thinking . . .   about how different it was for my grandfather to harvest his crops.  I wonder what he would say if he could come out to our fields today.

I am creating . . . 
  some sewing projects to gift away.  I'll show you soon :) 

I am celebrating . . .  the daily provision of all that I need from my heavenly Father.  

From the kitchen . . .  Oatmeal with Walnuts and Bananas for breakfast, grilled jalapeno cheese sandwich for lunch and barbecued chicken breasts with new potatoes and fresh green beans for supper. 

I am wearing . . .  black track pants, long sleeved blue shirt and an orange sweatshirt.  Definitely a layers day or else I'll have to turn the furnace on. 

I am reading . . .  John 16 - "I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart !  I have overcome the world."

                             World Without End by Ken Follett - It's been sitting on my bedside table, just waiting for me so I've started it.  It's just as good as I remember Pillars of the Earth being!  I'm on page 111 but there are 1014 pages so it will be awhile but that's okay because it means that there is more to enjoy :)
                             MIghty Mount Kilimanjaro in the Geronimo Stilton series for kids - a student loaned me her copy after we chatted about our trip to Africa.  She wanted me to read this favourite book of hers and see if  the parts about the mountain were true.  Of course I'm glad to share reading anytime with students.   
                           
I am hoping . . .  to get some raspberries picked after the rain dries a bit.  

I am hearing . . .  Michael W. Smith and his "A New Hallelujah" CD, specifically Prepare Ye The Way.

I am going . . .  to phone Melinda and Samuel in NYC - he should be up from his nap now.

Around the house and yard . . . long, wet grass, dripping peas, and raspberries all needing attention sometime soon.  

One of my favourite things . . . quiet afternoons spent by myself.

A few plans for the rest of the week . . . more silage to cut, raspberry vinegar to make, more recipes to make from the challenge I've started  - maybe a banana cake next.  

A quote for today . . .  

Embrace your uniqueness. Time is much too short to be living someone else's life.
-Unknown

Here is a picture thought I am sharing . . . Naomi gave Bob some heritage zucchini seeds and they have gigantic blossoms!  The fruits are growing but a bit too slowly for me.  I'm looking forward to zucchini chocolate cake and zucchini relish!



3 comments:

  1. My zucchini this year has been bizarre. Massive and multiple gigantic leaves and slow growing zucchini. Not that plentiful either. I had to hack back some leaves as they were taking over the entire pathway too. And here in Switzerland, everything is slow because of the rain and lack of sun, and now the air is definitely autumnal already. How weird the climate is..... either torrential and too much rain or blazing heat. Can you believe the average temps in Moscow have been hovering round 39C!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:10 PM

    I can't get over how much rain you guys have had this year. Wow. I hope it warms up this weekend for you!

    I'm curious how the raspberry vinegar will taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I answered your question about the sabbatical over on my site.

    I think this profile picture of you and your husband is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete