Monday, May 17, 2010

Simple Woman #88


For Today . . .  May 17, 2010



Outside my window . . . a delightfully hot (+25 degrees C) spring day, with brilliant sunshine and a small rain shower this evening.  

I am thankful . . . for friends who encourage and hold me accountable in my faith life. 

And I also am thankful . . .  for authors who write works of fiction that still enlighten me and provide authentic experiences with characters that could be alive.

I am praying . . . for our family to arrive home safely this week and for us to enjoy each other over the weekend.

I am thinking . . .  about Samuel's first birthday party and everyone who's excited to meet him.

I am creating . . .   more homes for seedling transplants and my patio pots of tomatoes and flowers. 

I am celebrating . . .  Nurses Week - I'm so thankful for the men and women who provide care when we are sick.  And I am proud and thankful that our daughter, Naomi, is a nurse!

From the kitchen . . .  cheese on toast for breakfast, leftover tuna casserole in my lunch and Grilled Pork Chops with mashed potatoes and gravy, fresh veggies and dip for supper.

I am wearing . . .  a navy blue jacket with pants and a blue-white-turquoise top, pearl earrings and black dress shoes (a teaching outfit!).

I am reading . . .  Luke 14 - 'For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted.'
                         Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - by Dai Sijie - set during Mao's Cultural Revolution, 2 boys are sent to the countryside for 're-education' but that takes a surprising turn when they discover a hidden stash of Western classics in Chinese translation. "A beguiling and unexpected story about the resilience of the human spirit, the wonder of romantic awakening and the magical power of storytelling."  (all comments from the inside cover)


                       The Perfect Apron by Rob Merrett - it's full of lovely patterns and ideas.  
I am hoping . . . my spider plants will like the transplanting and new soil that they got tonight.  It's been overdue.

I am hearing . . . the bees buzzing in the apple trees - they are just loaded with the little guys who are going dizzy, trying to drink nectar from all the blossoms!



I am going . . .  to finish making a batch of homemade yogurt tonight.  

I am sending . . . a card to someone who recently had a serious health issue and I am praying that her health will be restored and her fears will rest with the One who comforts each of us.

Around the house and yard . . . the dandelions are springing up again after being mowed down on Saturday - man, they are resilient!  The apple trees are full of blossoms as are the saskatoons and mayday trees.

One of my favourite things . . .  the smell of Mayday blossoms.   Too bad they fade so fast :(



A few plans for the rest of the week . . . another day of subbing, babysitting Meadow and Blake so Naomi can go to the dentist, welcoming Samuel, Melinda and Tyler to Alberta, and lots of fun for our whole family to be together on the weekend!  Oh, lots of cooking, cleaning and more planting in the garden too!

A quote for today . . .  

You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need.


-Jerry Gillies



Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you . . .  I planted 2 of my flower patio pots tonight.  I love the purple wave petunias but did branch out and added a a Snowstorm Bacopa and a Setaria grass (otherwise known as ornamental foxtail - I picked it for the seed heads that will come later) to each pot.  


You can join the daybook group over at Peggy's blog.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you find the cultures for your yogurt? I haven't the slightest clue where to look, other that ordering online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over how HUGE your mayday tree is!

    ReplyDelete