Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Smells of Autumn

Do you associate the seasons with certain smells?  If you stepped into my kitchen today, I think you would say it smells like autumn!  And that's because I have a pot full of apples, from one of the three trees in our garden, simmering away on the stove, well on their way to becoming applesauce.




Today I'm using some Parkland apples which make a lighter colored sauce but the Rescue crabapples give a beautiful pink color when they are cooked.





Melinda and I had a little chat this afternoon and she told me about a recipe that Bob's Auntie Irma published in her family heirloom cookbook, that makes applesauce in the oven.  I had never heard of such a recipe or such a technique!!  Unfortunately Mel's recipe book is packed away in a box in Nova Scotia but I googled and found this great looking applesauce and apple butter .  I think I'll try it on another batch as soon as this one is finished.



I have a foodmill that I use to press the apples through after they are completely cooked.  I only use it at this time of the year and it's perfect for crabapples because you don't have to peel them first.





Mixed with a little brown sugar and cinnamon, it's a perfect dessert for the first day of fall!

Other smells that I associate with this time of year are the damp smell of leaves and pumpkin pie.  What smells trigger thoughts of autumn for you?  

3 comments:

  1. It looks so good. I definitely need to pick up some more and get a few batches of applesauce made soon. Samuel will be eating it before long. Let me know if you try the oven applesauce. I might just have to call Auntie Irma and get the recipe. It was so good.

    My favourite fall smells - damp, cool mornings with the dew still on the grass; apple anything (it reminds me of the Annapolis valley), cold rooms stored with fresh vegetables. I so wish we had a garden or a bigger apartment so I could stock my pantry full of goodies for the winter. I'm so envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh looks yummy! My favourite fall smells are apples, (it reminds me of the Annapolis valley too!!), the smell of canning peaches in steamy kitchens, baking bread, stews... wait apparently fall reminds me of FOOD. :) Did you get my fruit ketchup recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smells of fall....silage, apples, pumpkins, fresh salsa, squash to name a few of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete