Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Simple Woman #57



For Today . . . August 31, 2009

Outside my window. . . warm but smoky because of the forest fires burning northwest of here.

I am thankful . . . that we are able to join our daughter and her family for a short vacation - and that I don't have to be back at school this week!

And I am also thankful . . . that there is so much good fruit to be purchased from local farmers where we are visiting.

I am praying . . . that my teacher friends (who are back at school this week) will have a wonderful year sharing the excitement of learning with their students.

I am thinking . . . about all the jars I will need in order to can and preserve the fruit that we've bought.

I am celebrating . . . our grandson's first year of life. What a joy it has been to watch him grow into such a little man!

From the kitchen . . . local sausage seasoned with sun-dried tomatoes and basil, carrots and potatoes baked in butter, Greek salad, corn on the cob and fresh peaches and cream.

I am wearing . . . black city shorts, green cotton top and no shoes.

I am reading . . . Oceans Apart by Karen Kingsbury.

I am hoping . . . to have some playtime with Silas and Helayna before we head home tomorrow.

I am hearing . . . Neil Diamond sing some of his hit songs.

I am creating . . . jars of fruit preserved for winter enjoyment.

Around the house and yard . . . beautiful flowers, chickens, and a swimming pool as we are staying at a lovely bed and breakfast home.

One of my favourite things . . . fresh corn on the cob, rolled in butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper.

A few plans for the rest of the week . . . driving home, canning cherries (they are ripe!), sorting fruit, an appointment in the city and Silas' first birthday party.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you . . . plump and juicy peaches hanging in the orchard belonging to the nicest Hungarian man we met today.



I think Peggy at The Simple Woman may be back next week with her daybook links.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't realize you were having fires in Canada, too. Poor California and those people out there :o(
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you found some great treasures on this little vacation. Can I raid your pantry when I come to visit? Samuel will probably be eating lots of fruit and vegetables by then. ;)
    Travel safely. I'm looking forward to talking with you later this week. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete